Saturday, January 11, 2014

Love Jones: A Time for Everything

BET aired a throwback love story a couple of weeks ago on December 14; Love Jones starring Larenz Tate and Nia Long. This movie came out in 1997 and is a member of BETs Top 25 Black Love Movies. However,  for my post today, the race of these character do no matter to the takeaway I had from this particular viewing.

Quick Synopsis:
Darius and Nina meet in a blues club in Chicago and the movie deals with their inability to decide what to do about their attraction. Nina is fresh out of a relationship and is trying to get a job in photography. Darius is a writer and is trying to finish a book. In the mist of trying to reach these personal achievements, they dance in and out of a relationship that just doesn't work out. Bad timing. Long story short Nina gets her job in NY and Darius publishes his book in Chicago. Nina returns to Chicago and realizes that she wants to be with him. Here the dialogue from the end of the movie:

Darius: "I enjoyed your poem up there... look, there have been a lot of mistakes and we both made them and I apologize for my part in that, but all that nonsense I don't give a damn about that anymore. . . I want us to be together again for as long as we can." Nina: "As usual your timing couldn't be worse. You always want what you want when you want it, why is everything so urgent with you?" Darius: "Let me tell you something. This here, right now, at this very moment is all that matters to me. I love you, and that's urgent as hell." Nina: "How do we do this?" Darius: "I don't know."Nina: "I live in NY." Darius: "I don't care."

My Reality:
Movie critic Ebert loved the fact that this movie didn't have a perfect ending. Yes, they loved each other and NO we have no idea how it worked out. I can completely relate to trying love at the wrong time. My husband and I tried to date three different times before the last time leading to our engagement. I wanted him then it was the wrong time for him because he was in school. He wanted me but it was the wrong time for me because I was thinking I wanted someone else. We both wanted each other and it was horrible timing for both of us for so many many reasons. But there was finally a time when we realized that this was the right thing, at the right time.

Have you ever been there? Have you ever known you are supposed to be with someone, or have something, or be somewhere but it just will not happen? You cannot shake the fact that you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that is supposed to be, but it is not the right time.

The Word:
This part of the movie brought to my remembrance of a very familiar passage of scripture. Thank God for Ecclesiastes 3:1. There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. The following verses go on to list all of the events we encounter in life. Everyone is going to experience love, harvest, death, and laughter. We in Christ have to know that our time and our seasons are in God's hands and there is an appropriate time for every activity.

And This Means What?
Don't give up, maybe it's just not the right time. Pray God's will be done, trust that His timing for this earth is perfect, and surrender your will. Just know that everything will work out for your good! This is saying that God arranges even the smallest details of our surroundings.

Love Peace and Hairgrease! KIM




No comments:

Post a Comment